when I was growing up, specially during monsoon every meal included jackfruit seeds in some form or another. Steamed or boiled seeds ; with gravy or without, you name it and we ate it. As a true GSB i too love every part of jackfruit ,specially the seeds, we make so many curries and i really enjoy almost all the dishes.
Indeed its a nostalgic dish for me. It’s one of the first dishes that my grand mom used to cook for me and it was also one of the first dish she taught me how to cook. Its a simple dish with lots of fried garlic and chillies ,which makes this dish spicy and aromatic.
500 gm- Sambar cucumber/madras cucumber
10 -Whole Red dried chillies
- Cut sambar cucumber into large chunks/ cubes and remove the seeds
- Crush the seeds and peel the outer cover.
- Pressure cook both together with 4 cups of water for about 15-20 minutes or just take 2 whistle .
- Let it cool down a bit,then open the pressure cooker and transfer the cooked veggies into a vessel/sauce pan.
- Add salt and bring it to boil and turn off the heat.
- Now prepare the tempering .Crush Garlic and cut the chillies to small pieces.
- Heat oil in a tempering pan add crushed garlic followed by chillies,fry till they are well roasted.
- Add this to the cooked veggies and serve hot with rice.